Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 7- The Non Starter Starter

Ok, I have to admit that I had to go away for my 17th anniversary.  I was afraid to leave the starter out a total of 48 hours, and it had not risen one bit.  So I kind of punted.  I put the starter in the fridge overnight and pretended like a day had not gone by.

Then I pulled it out, let it reach room temperature.  Then mixed the flour water mixture in.

I learned something important, however, which frustrates me to no end.  Day 3 is supposed to be a repeat of Day 2, but here is how he words it...

Day 2-  Mix and knead until you have a ball about the same size as you had on the previous day.
Day 3- ...enough water to form a firm ball

Ok...my dough was never firm.  I added the exact amount of flour (I weigh instead of using volume because it can be so variable) and the exact amount of water and it was pretty gooey.  For 3 days!  Then I read again, and find the word "firm".  Its just like me.

At this point, I should probably start over, but I am going to give it a try.  I cut the dough in half and added the exact amount of flour and 1 tablespoon of water (instead of 3.)

Now, that is a firm ball.  I used more flour on the surface and kept my hands dusted with flour, because it was still very sticky.  But at least now I have a firm ball!

I pressed it back into its container and we will see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment